Rechercher dans ce blog

Monday, September 21, 2020

GMS 7th-grader collecting diapers for the needy for Bat Mitzvah project - The Newark Advocate

diapers.indah.link
CLOSE

On Nov. 14, Evie Sanders, a seventh-grader at Granville Middle School, will become a Bat Mitzvah.

Her Bat Mitzvah project has been collect diapers for Moms2Be, a community-based pregnancy program to assist low-income women.

Evie is also using the project as a way to educate others about what it means to be a Bat Mitzvah and about Judaism.

“By doing this, people are asking me about what is a Bat Mitzvah,” Evie said in an Aug. 10 phone interview. “It’s like a stepping stone to me becoming a woman, and to show my gratitude to the world and give back…how I can help people in need that need it the most.”

As of Sept. 10, Evie had collected 8,447 diapers toward a 10,000 diaper goal with an Oct. 31 deadline.

The drive has so far been fueled by passing out flyers, and through Instagram, among other avenues.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the Newark Advocate today to access all of our content online at offers.newarkadvocate.com.

“My Torah portion or the part I’m going to be reading (for Bat Mitzvah) is ‘The Life of Sarah,’ and when I think of life, I think of babies and I wanted to make sure babies have a good start to their life and that starts with diapers.”

Evie is specifically collecting diaper sizes 1-3. Anyone wishing to donate can email sanders.aimee@gmail.com.

Owing to COVID-19, Evie’s November Bat Mitzvah service will not be held at her synagogue, but instead will take the form of a Zoom service.

Evie has also returned to in-person schooling at Granville Middle School. “It’s really good to be back. It’s a little different with wearing masks and Plexiglass at lunch, but I’m really glad to be back.”

For those who have already given diapers, Evie said, “I’m really thankful to everyone who has donated, and who have spent their own money and I’m very thankful that they did that for me.”

Read or Share this story: https://ift.tt/33MrvnI

The Link Lonk


September 21, 2020 at 08:38PM
https://ift.tt/33MrvnI

GMS 7th-grader collecting diapers for the needy for Bat Mitzvah project - The Newark Advocate

https://ift.tt/2Comt7j
Diapers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Lutheran churches donate nearly 30,000 diapers to families in need - Fremont Tribune

diapers.indah.link Almost 30,000 diapers were donated by local Lutheran churches to Lutheran Family Services Rupert Dunk...

Popular Posts